Public Garden Career Center - View Job
Wellfield Botanic Gardens
Posted: Friday, January 4, 2013
Wellfield Botanic Gardens, Elkhart, Indiana
Position Title: Horticulture Manager
Reports To:Executive Director
Employee Status: Full-time, including periodic weekend and evening hours.
Job Description: A newly created position in a developing garden serving as part of the Garden’s management team. We are seeking a hands-on leader, a creative, dynamic, organized individual who would enjoy the challenge and opportunity to help grow a newly designed public garden. Knowledge and passion for plants and garden design, plus an ability to communicate this, are essential. This is an outdoor physically-oriented and demanding position.
About us:Wellfield Botanic Gardens, founded in 2005, is an evolving, vibrant garden situated on 36 acres, six blocks north of downtown Elkhart on a historical piece of property known as the North Main Street well field. This site has been a source of hydraulic energy and drinking water for the City of Elkhart since the middle 1800’s. Currently the City’s Department of Public Works operates 13 wells on the site and it is the City’s largest source of drinking water. The newly-designed Gardens are in the early stages of planning new programs, exhibits and events to fully take advantage of its exciting new garden spaces and facilities, about 35% the Master Plan’s 24 gardens, event spaces, Visitors Center and Horticultural Center have been developed.
Duties & Responsibilities:
· Provide overall management of the gardens and grounds.
· Ensure top quality care and maintenance of gardens and grounds using staff and volunteers.
· Prepare and administer horticulture department’s budget and planning including budget monitoring, strategic planning, capital projects and facility maintenance as related to horticultural services.
· Supervise Horticulture staff, volunteers and interns.
· Work closely with key staff on master-planning and other issues related to site development and horticultural programs.
· Engage in outreach with botanical, horticultural and environmental organizations in support of services and educational opportunities with the Gardens.
· Help plan and coordinate high-quality special events and seasonal plant and garden displays/exhibits.
· Serve as a spokesperson on the plants, gardens and gardening to the media, garden clubs and other related horticultural groups.
· Develop and maintain planting/removal records, garden maps, chemical use records, etc.
· Oversee the labelling/installation of plant identification tags.
Skills / Training / Experience Required
· Minimum of a B.S. in horticulture or botany or related field.
· Broad knowledge of, and hands on experience in, applying horticultural practices e.g. planting, fertilization, irrigation, propagation, pruning, weed and pest management.
· Expert knowledge of herbaceous and woody ornamental plants.
· At least 5 years work experience in horticulture, preferable in a public garden or arboretum setting and at least 2 years work experience with ascending management responsibilities.
· Documented supervision and budgeting experience plus proficiency in Microsoft.
· Licenses and Certifications
· Must have a current State Chemist License (or obtain within one year from date of employment)
· Must possess a valid Driver’s License
· Maintains insurability under the company auto liability policy
Compensation: Salary, commensurate with experience.
To Apply: Qualified candidates should submit cover letter and resume to: email@example.com.
For more information, please visit: http://www.wellfieldgardens.org